Climate Change Policies (211015)
Department of Environmental Engineering and Architecture
||Type 1 Subject
Associate Professor IRYO Miho
||Lecture Room 1/Environmental Studies Hall
Lectures on climate change (global warming) will be given, especially from the viewpoints of policies and institutions. Students are expected to understand: 1) basic facts about climate change; 2) climate change mitigation and adaptation strategies for climate change; and 3) United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and international negotiation.
[Condition of the class in 2017] The class of the autumn semester in 2017 will open only if there are requests from the students who are expected to graduate before the end of September 2018. Contact the lecturer for the request.
1. Introduction: Plan of the course
2. Science of the Climate Change and its Impacts on Social Systems
3. Climate Change and International Systems
4. Presentation by Students and Discussions
5. Cost Benefit Analysis of Climate Change Policy in Japan
6. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Climate Change
7. International Negotiation and Consensus Building
8. Model UNFCCC Negotiation
Evaluation: Presentation 50%, Reports 50%.
Textbooks: No textbooks are required.
Recommended Reference Books, Other Study Material, and notes
UNFCCC website: http://unfccc.int/2860.php
IPCC website: http://www.ipcc.ch/
IPCC (2014). IPCC Fifth Assessment Report: Climate Change 2014 (AR5),
(Other references will be specified in each lecture.)
Language in class
▪ Presentation & Materials : English only
▪ Oral explanations : English only
▪ Questions in English : Available
e-mail address / Tel No / Room of Instructor(s)
Miho IRYO, email@example.com, ext.6044
Room 401, Graduate School of Environmental Studies