Environmental Urban Systems (3400024)
Common Subjects, G30 Civil and Environmental Engineering Graduate Program
Assoc. Prof. IRYO, Miho
||Lecture Room 1/Environmental Studies Hall
The aim is to deepen the understanding of the technical and institutional systems required to build an environmental city, mainly from the perspective of city planning and transportation planning.
The objective of this lecture is to acquire the following knowledge and skills.
1. Understand and explain the impact of city structure and transportation on the environment.
2. Be able to analyze the urban and transportation issues for specific cities and propose plans to build an eco-city.
1. Components of urban environment and their issues
2. Historical review of city structures and location theory
3. Observation and assessment of environmental impact
4. Urban / transportation plan for environmental improvement
5. Consensus building and community development
6. Case studies of environmental improvement measures in various cities
All classes will be conducted in English. In case studies, collect materials and arrange presentation materials for issues indicated in advance. In addition, you will be required to submit report assignments several times.
Evaluation is based on report assignments (60%), and presentation and discussions (40%). As conditions for passing, students must be able to understand the impact of city structure and transport on the environment, and to make proposals to build an eco-city.
Handouts will be distributed at each class.
Recommended Reference Books, Other Study Material, and notes
Information of texts and references will provided in the class.
Language in class
▪ Presentation & Materials : English only
▪ Oral explanations : English only
▪ Questions in English : Available
e-mail address / Tel No / Room of Instructor(s)
If you have any questions, please ask the instructor by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or make an appointment by e-mail before coming to the room.