English Communication in Environmental Issues (3400025)
Common Subjects, G30 Earth and Environmental Sciences Graduate Program, G30 Civil and Environmental Engineering Graduate Program
Assoc. Prof. IRYO, Miho
Lecturer CHUN, Sohyun
||Lecture Room 2/Environmental Studies Hall
International communication skills are indispensable to propose policies that address environmental issues in the international communities. This lecture aims to improve international communication skills through analysis, policy proposals and discussions on environmental issues.
The objective of this lecture is to acquire the following knowledge and skills.
1. Understand and apply effective presentation and discussion techniques in English.
2. Understand the environmental issues in various countries and the differences in how environmental issues are perceived by different standpoints.
3. Based on opinions from other perspectives, they can explain their points logically and persuade others.
Applicants are requested to either register via NUCT or to email their student ID number and name to the instructor (iryo(at)nagoya-u.jp) by April 20 (Mon.).
The materials of the first class will be uploaded to NUCT by the end of April.
The followings are the contents in 2019. Updated contents will be announced via NUCT for online classes.
1. Presentation and discussion method
Students learn how to structure presentations, create slides, and discuss in order to effectively convey their opinions to others.
2. Group discussion and presentation on environmental issues in home country
Explain environmental issues in their home countries, summarize common issues and areas of interest in each country, and give presentations.
3. Group discussion and role play on environmental issues and consensus building
To resolve environmental issues, it is necessary to build consensus among various stakeholders. In this part, students will make a role-play to understand opinions from different positions and consensus building processes.
4. Group debate
Make a debate on a given topic related to environmental issues.
5. Discussion and presentation on environmental issues of interest for each group
Discuss environmental issues which students got interest through above classes and propose countermeasures.
All classes will be conducted in English. At the end of each class, an outline of the next class will be given.
Based on the outline, students are required to collect necessary materials and prepare for discussion before the class.
Evaluation is based on contribution to group discussions (40%), presentation skills at group presentation, role play and debate (40%), and report related to the contents of the discussion (20%). The evaluation will be made with the rubric distributed in the first class. Students will pass if they will be able to explain their arguments logically and clearly, and to discuss environmental issues from multiple perspectives.
Attendance of more than 80% lectures is necessary to have credits.
Handouts will be distributed at each class.
Recommended Reference Books, Other Study Material, and notes
Reference literature will be introduced as needed.
Language in class
▪ Presentation & Materials : English only
▪ Oral explanations : English only
▪ Questions in English : Available
e-mail address / Tel No / Room of Instructor(s)
If you have any questions, please ask the instructor by e-mail (email@example.com) or make an appointment by e-mail before coming to the room.