Classes and Research Instruction in Basic Environmental Studies II (5400035)
Common Subjects, G30 Earth and Environmental Sciences Graduate Program, G30 Civil and Environmental Engineering Graduate Program
Prof. TAKANO, Masao
Prof. KATO, Hirokazu
Assoc.Prof. SUGIYAMA, Noriko
Assist.Prof. KAKIMOTO, Yuji
The aim of this seminar is to understand the concept and framework of Clinical Environmental Studies (CES) as a trans-disciplinary approach of the environmental studies. CES is a new way of research and social actions towards sustainable society, conducting diagnosis to treatment of environmental issues across the border of various disciplines in collaboration with stakeholders outside of research community, to solve the problems on the ground. The Classes and Research Instruction in Basic Environmental Studies (CBES) provides the students with the opportunity to deepen the understanding of CES, though the presentation, dialogue and discussion among students and teaching staffs.(1)The participants learn about the basic concept of sustainable development as well as its achievements and challenges through a textbook. (2) learning about the concept of clinical environmental studies (3) The participants have a chance of presentation on one of SDGs and the relationship with their own research subjects.
1 to 2 seminars a month. 1 hour 30 minutes for each class. The schedule will be determined after consultation among students and teaching staffs.
(1) Reading a textbook of sustainable development in workshop-style. The textbook is "An introduction to Sustainable Development" by Jennifer A. Elliott, Rutledge, 1994.
(2) Reading a textbook of Clinical Environment Studies; Chapter 4 Proposing Clinical Environmental Studies and its challenges in "Clinical Environmental Studies" Watanabe et al. ed. Nagoya Univ. Publisher, 2014.
3) Presentation on one of SDGs and the relationship with participants' own research subjects.
Online seminar with Zoom will be hold about once for month. The schedule will be arranged with students and faculties.
The evaluation will be based on the frequency of participation, the quality of presentation in the class and report.
S. Watanabe et al ed. “Clinical Environmental Studies”, Chap 4 and 5.(English version is available.)
John Blewitt “Understanding Sustainable Development” 3^rd edition, Routledge, 2018.
Recommended Reference Books, Other Study Material, and notes
Language in class
▪ Presentation & Materials : Japanese and English
▪ Oral explanations : Japanese and English
▪ Questions in English : Available
e-mail address / Tel No / Room of Instructor(s)
Professor TAKANO, Masao